Thursday, July 4, 2013

Feature and Follow Friday & Celebrate the Small Things


Q: Today’s is the US’ Independence Day. Share your favorite book with a war in it, or an overthrow of the government.

         It may not surprise you to hear that I am not exactly the type of person who likes war. I, like Abe Lincoln and MLK, believe that violence leads to more violence, which doesn't solve the problem. Please ignore that bad grammar! However, the term 'overthrow of the government' does indeed make me think of a book. Hmmm.. which one?  Lord of the Flies, of course!! It's about a group of boys who are stranded on a deserted island and must fend for themselves. They try to make their own government, but they fail miserably. There is utter chaos, and absolutely no government to speak of! 




1. My first draft of the dreaded college essay has been written! It's my new WIP. The first draft of anything is always bad, and this is no exception! Hmm... maybe I should blog about that in IWSG next month? 
2. I am getting a new volunteer position at a hospital! 
1. 
1. 


16 comments:

  1. Lord of the Flies is a GREAT answer. I can't believe I didn't think of that one. Did you know that is Stephen King's favorite book???

    Angie
    Angela's Anxious Life

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never actually read Lord of the Flies, though I know the story well enough that I don't really need to. It's no the type of thing that ever appealed much to me. Good answer, though. :D Old follower here.

    HERE and HERE. Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The lord of the flies is the school book answer, though I might have gone a little more 1984...
    I went with The Torturer's Daughter

    Mei @ Diary of a Fair Weather Diver

    ReplyDelete
  4. I some how missed reading Lord of the Flies. Wonder how that happened? Yay to finishing that 1st draft!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG, Lord of the Flies. God, how I truly hated reading that book in school. The movie never sat well with me either.

    I follow via GFC

    MY FF

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved Lord of the Flies....in a really creepy kind of way. That book freaked me out the first time I read it. Kind of in the same way Hunger Games did (I couldn't finish that one I got so depressed). Good luck with the essay. You are so right, first drafts always stink LOL. And congrats on the volunteering!! Old follower.

    Meredith
    Meredith’s Musings

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've heard such great things about Lord of the Flies! I may have to read it sometime. It sounds pretty good. I'm an old GFC follower.
    Krystianna @ Downright Dystopian

    ReplyDelete
  9. An interesting choice.

    http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2013/07/feature-follow.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree - violence leads to more violence. Your pick is awesome! Love that book! And I was a bad girl...didn't post an IWSG this month. >.< Ah well...

    My FF @ Donnie Darko Girl

    ReplyDelete
  11. Whee what great celebrations - congrats on the volunteer position AND first draft!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I missed your blog last week, so here I am--late but commenting. I'm patting myself on the back. Hope that first draft is going strong.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes, first drafts are a love/hate relationship. - I think that would make a great tweet. :) Congrats on your new volunteer position. Writer’s Mark

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great war movie - interesting. Would Lord of the Rings count?

    Morgan, I hope you'll join us for the Cephalopod Coffeehouse again this month. Here's the link: http://armchairsquid.blogspot.com/2013/06/the-cephalopod-coffeehouse-july-blog.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good job with your new volunteer work! The good thing about first drafts is that they're a start. After that, they can only get better.
    Happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! :)