Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Blogging A to Z- "P"

A to Z Challenge [2013]


Since nobody read or commented on my last post, I'll move on to my next post.

P is for Preemie. I am a preemie. I was born 5 weeks early on May 5. Since my birthday is coming up, I thought that this would be the perfect opportunity to share this story with all of you.

My parents were out for dinner with another couple. She kept feeling some weird pressure, and then she called Evanston Hospital. She went to the hospital, and never left! I was born at 11:59 the next morning.

Now, this next part is a bit scary, so I would recommend that you not read on if you don't like scary stories. I was lethargic and not eating, so my mom took me to the doctor. I was about 7 days old at this point. The nurse took my temperature, and it was dangerously low. So low, in fact, that my lips were blue. I went to the emergency room in an ambulance, and eventually the doctors discovered that I had bleeding in my brain. As a result of that, I stayed in the hospital for 3 weeks. From what my mom has told me, I had to have a lot of blood tests and a spinal tap, which is a test where they stick a needle in your back to draw out spinal fluid to check for meningitis. Apparently I was the talk of the hospital, and the doctors didn't know if I'd be able to walk or drive a car. I do both of those things now ;). Luckily, I have no recollection whatsoever of this story.

After I was discharged, I did Physical and Occupational Therapy from infancy to kindergarten- talk about a long commitment! I am perfectly ok now, but I still am a tad impacted from what happened. I can't ride a bike, I can't do a sommersault, and I am not exactly the best student in my gym class.

15 comments:

  1. Yesterday I really did not have time to tweet or comment on many posts, so I got no comments on it. I think maybe people are running out of steam as we head to the end. Wow, your story is quite amazing. I never suffered any trauma when I was younger, but I happen to not be that flexible. Never could touch my toes, and my somersaults were nothing to write home about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just wondering, are you leaving a lot of comments for other bloggers? That is the best way of getting comments back.

    5 weeks early! That is pretty darn early!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a scary story! Pretty interesting story though, thanks for sharing =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping by Smurfin' The Web. I shall read some more of your A-Z posts and catch up =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sure your loved ones must've been so worried about you when you went to ER. I'm glad that you're okay now, and that you got to go through those therapies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, that is scary and I bet your parents were frantic. Glad to hear you're doing o.k. now, though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's so scary to have a preemie or a baby with any sort of complications. Glad to hear you are doing well though. My mom was a preemie and she weighed only 2lbs when she was born. When my daughter was born she had a seizure and after a bunch of tests we found out she was fine, but it was still scary.

    Dark Thoughts Blog

    ReplyDelete
  8. My mom was a preemie too. I'm so glad that it all worked out for you in the end. That must have been so terrifying for your poor parents.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My best friend from high school slept in a drawer in the chest-of-drawers next to his parents' bed. He was actually too small for the crib in that there was a risk he could get his stuck in the bars. I don't remember how many weeks early he was born.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing your story. I'm very glad you made it through. We all have our own imperfections but that's what makes us all unique! Thanks for stopping by my blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great choice of subject. My oldest son was a preeimie too, 3 lbs., 8 ozs. He had a partial lung collapse his first night and had to stay in neo-natal ICU for a month. He came through it fine and is now 40:) In these modern times I think we forget how dangerous childbirth is for both mother and infant. Glad things went good for you too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yikes a scary story indeed! And the comments above as well ...but all sounds well with you and it seems with the other mums as well and their children.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, that sounds like quite the birth story. Luckily you are alive and well. At least you have an excuse for not being able to do somersaults, me, I just can't because they scare me. :)

    Have fun with a-z.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So scary! I'm glad everything turned out okay.

    Thanks for visiting my blog today. ☺

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! :)