Wednesday, March 20, 2013

My new love: Nonfiction

            I mentioned a few weeks back that I had started a nonfiction memoir for my research paper on eating disorders. Right now, I am more than halfway done with it, and I've also come across three books this afternoon for the same project. I never realized how much I loved nonfiction(memoirs specifically)! I've loved memoirs ever since I read A Child called "It" and Tuesdays with Morrie a few years back. The fact that these stories were both true makes them even more inspiring.
   The trick to finding a book for a research project like the one I'm doing is finding a bunch of books on your topic, and then narrowing the choices down to, say, your top two or three. I like to think of this like the Olympics, because you're picking only best books. For me, a good book has to actually have some substance to it. It has to have some valuable information. Surprisingly enough, I found a book in the school library today that looked like it could be written at a 6th grade reading level- I'm a Junior in High School!

1 comment:

  1. Books written for a lower reading level can still have valuable tidbits of information. I know what you mean, but I also know that a lot of teens and adults can't read books at a higher reading level, so they need that information to be readily available. It's why newspapers are written at approximately a third grade reading level. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! :)